“It is disappointing to win a World Cup and you’ve not played international cricket after that. To remove the winning World Cup coach [as well], it’s just a mess. I am not about fighting it anymore.” While selectors said Sammy’s dropping was due to his lack of individual performances, it has been widely speculated that the St Lucian all-rounder paid the price for his criticism of the WICB just moments following the Windies’ capture of the T20 World Cup in India. However, despite all that has transpired since, Sammy said he did not regret his decision then to blast the board. “Put me on that podium again and I will do it even better. I believe a man has to speak his heart. It was just an extension of what my team went through flowing from me. JUST A MESS LONDON (CMC): Discarded Twenty20 captain Darren Sammy has supported the view of two of his former teammates that the sacking of head coach Phil Simmons has negatively impacted West Indies’ performance in the ongoing series against Pakistan. Speaking here this week, the 32-year-old criticised the West Indies Cricket Board’s (WICB) decision, noting that such actions had now become a trend, and said that he could tell the Caribbean side was not in a “happy mood” in the United Arab Emirates. “It’s disappointing but not surprising,” the two-time T20 World Cup-winning skipper was quoted as saying. “It’s been a trend of how my former employers operate. It was sad. They will say it did not have an effect on the team, but from the pictures being posted on social media, I could tell my team was not in a happy mood.” Simmons was sacked even as the squad departed the Caribbean for the UAE last month, over what the WICB described as “differences in culture and strategic approach”. West Indies subsequently produced a plethora of limp performances as they suffered 3-0 whitewashes in both the T20 and the One-Day International series. They have since also conceded the three-Test series where they trail 2-0, with one game remaining in Sharjah starting tomorrow. Earlier this month, all-rounders Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Bravo, who contested the limited overs series, said the sacking of Simmons had demoralised the players and created chaos in the camp. Sammy, who was also fired in August despite leading the Windies to their second T20 World Cup last April, described the entire situation as “a mess”. “Everything in life happens for a reason. I am still on a high. I refuse to let people dictate my mood,” he said.
Rehabilitation works were done on the Linden to Lethem road. This is expected to bring relief to minibus operators and passengers who traverse the trail. The remedial works commenced on June 23 and completed on June 28, 2019.Works being done on the Linden to Lethem trailThe works were done on certain patches and major holes were filled. This was confirmed by the Mayor of the mining town, David Adams, on Thursday.In an invited comment to the Guyana Times, he said the works were done by the Regional Administration of Region Eight and vehicles are now able to reach into Mahdia.He added, however, that due to the persistent heavy showers and the heavy-duty trucks traversing the area, he is unsure of how long the works would suffice.He noted that the works have brought significant relief to the road users that have been suffering in the recent months.Minibus operators plying the 72 route into Mahdia have expressed satisfaction with the remedial works which will benefit them as well as other road users. They expressed hope that the work continues and regular maintenance is done on the road.Rehabilitation works recently done on the Linden to Lethem trail after being in a deteriorated state for several monthsRoad users, particularly minibus operators, plying the trail have been complaining of the deteriorated condition of the trail which had become almost impassible.Mayor Adams had said that no major works could be done on the trail during the rainy weather. During this season, extra attention needed to be paid to the trail between Mahdia and Mabura, which was in dire need of repair works.The minibus operators have complained bitterly of the deteriorating condition of the trail which they are forced to use to transport passengers and goods as a means of earning their daily bread.They described the trail as a “death trap” and bashed the Public Infrastructure Ministry for paying zero interest in conducting long-term repairs to that trail which is the only access to those areas. Those minibus operators were forced to park their buses for a period of time.Further, when they resumed work, they were unable to get into the mining town with their buses and as such were forced to take passengers up to a point on the trail and then transfer those passengers and goods and other items to All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and pickup trucks that were able to get through the mud and into the mining town. This arrangement persisted for several weeks.This had resulted in hardships on those passengers and business owners who had to offset the double cost to reach into the mining town. Residents were also facing hardships as businesses were forced to inflate prices to offset the transportation cost and as such, they had to pay higher prices for goods.The trail has been in a deteriorated state for years and worsens during the rainy seasons after which minor substandard repairs are done on certain patches and the problem continues to recur.