Brown’s Town need a win against Seaview Gardens today to qualify for the mid-season final in the Charley’s JB Rum/Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) Super League.Both teams will meet in the opening game of a double header at Constant Spring Complex today, starting at 6 p.m.In the second of the double-header, Real Mona face Maverley/Hughenden, starting at 8 p.m.The first game is of high interest as Zone B leaders Brown’s Town will be in the hunt for maximum three points to advance to next Friday’s mid-season final where they will face Maverley/Hughenden.Brown’s Town lead the zone with 13 points. They are followed by Rae Town (8) and Santos (7).The east Kingston-based Brown’s Town are in pole position. They could lose against Seaview and still contest the final. Rae Town’s game against Maverley/Hughenden ended prematurely last week after a stabbing incident with the teams locked at 1-1. KSAFA are yet to issue a ruling on that match.Santos could move onto the final if they win their two remaining games but other results go their way.The Browns Town camp are in a positive mood ahead of tonight’s game.”We will be very serious about this game as we want to be in the final,” coach of Brown’s Town, Karumie Huie, told The Gleaner yesterday.”The team started the season slowly by losing the first two league games, but has not lost since, having won four and drawn once in the last five games. We want to continue on that platform,” he said.In the late game, Maverley/Hughenden will look to preserve their winning streak in Zone A. The Maverley/Hughenden team, under the guidance of coach Lijasu Simms, has won six games in a row to be on maximum 19 points. They are seven points clear of second placed Barbican with a game to be played in the first round.
“We have been talking with the club though we have not reached an agreement of any sort. It has been a great time here; winning four KPL titles is not a mean feat and I feel I have done well. I am open to a new challenge because that is the mark of growth in life,” the skipper said.Harambee Stars skipper Musa Mohammed vies for the ball with Libya’s Tubal Moahmed. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaMohammed said he has received concrete offers from two top local clubs while Capital Sport has also learnt a few clubs in the Zambian top tier have been enquiring of his services.“To be honest it is something that I have been thinking about and with all the opportunities on my table, I will make a firm decision before the end of the festive period,” the defender further stated.Mohammed has not only done well this year with his club but also skippered the national team to the CECAFA Senior Challenge title where they beat Zanzibar 3-2 on post-match penalties.“It was a very tough tournament, perhaps the toughest we have played in and that made the victory even sweeter. The fans were behind us and we couldn’t let them down. It was a great way to end a tough season,” the defender further stated.He however ended his 2017 on a good footing, after being named the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK) defender of the year, beating teammate Godfrey Walusimbi and Posta Rangers’ Jockins Atudo.Gor’s Musa Mohammed receiving the defender of the year award from Football Kenya Federation President Nick Mwendwa (center). Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYAMohammed was a constant figure in the Gor Mahia backline that conceded only 22 goals in 34 matches, a number matched only by Posta Rangers.“It was a huge honor getting that award and it was all down to hard work. I have always ensured that I do my best in every game and this award really pushes me to do better next year if I will still be in the KPL or from wherever I will be,” Mohammed further stated.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Harambee Stars captain Musa Mohammed walks into the pitch before Kenya’s match against Rwanda in the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup on December 3, 2017 in Kakamega. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, KENYA, Dec 20- The just concluded season marked eight years since Musa Mohammed joined Gor Mahia FC and with four Kenyan Premier League titles under his belt, the soft spoken defender says he might consider taking up a new challenge.His contract runs out at the end of the month and speaking to Capital Sport, the skipper says he is open to new challenges in the event he does not extend his stay with the record 16-time champions.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Compared to other parts of the state we were lucky. We received an inch and a half to 3 inches of rain with high winds. We were fortunate our corn stood well through that and we had minimal damage from the storm. The worst damage in our area was north and east of us, directly west of Toledo. There are a few farm sites that had some damage, but for the most part our damage was minimal even though we had some strong wind gusts. It is difficult to say when we will be back in the fields. We could possibly be running by the end of this week again.We are progressing along with harvest very well. We are over 85% complete with the corn. We finished soybeans up this last week and it is always a relief to have that completed. Then we focused pretty much on finishing up field operations. Tillage is done and spraying is done and at this time all we have left to do is focus on shelling corn.So I am very pleased with harvest progress to date, given the weather we have had this year. We continue to harvest at every opportunity. I think we are still on track to get things completed in a normal time frame. We strive to be done by the middle of November and we are still on track to be close to that.The corn harvest continues to be a pleasant surprise for us. It has yielded better than what we had planned. We are running well above our APH history for our farms on corn yield and our average harvest moisture to date has been 20.7. We have been pleased with that as well. The later corn is running a little wetter. It is at the 23% moisture range now. That is still fine considering when that corn was planted and the weather.The stalk integrity has improved as we have gotten into the later planted corn. We initially had a few issues on some early-planted corn that had a little wind damage, but it wasn’t difficult to harvest.
With just 16 days to go for the World Cup opening ceremony in Dhaka, the fever is rising fast in India.India will fight it out for the coveted World Cup with 13 other teams.While fans are making sure that they don’t miss out on the tickets for key matches, members of the Indian team are utilising their rare off days to complete shooting for advertisements.Soon the same players will turn serious as they get into a preparatory camp at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore and then in Chennai.India begin their campaign against Bangladesh in Dhaka on February 19.For a tournament of this magnitude, a lot of background work is required – from fool-proof security to logistics to ensuring good pitch and ground conditions for a healthy contest between bat and ball. Both the International Cricket Council (ICC) and tournament co-host Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that all 49 matches are staged without hassles.India is crazy about cricket and the madness is expected to reach an unprecedented height during the 45-day competition.An Australian team in transition will attempt to register its fourth straight title triumph while the likes of India, England and South Africa will try to stop Ricky Ponting’s side from running away with the trophy on April 2, when the final is played at a completely renovated Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.The World Cup has grown over the years, since the first edition was played in 1975 in England. From eight teams 36 years ago to 14 now, the tournament has expanded in every sense of the term. Besides the honour of becoming the world’s number one team, there’s a lot more at stake. A total prize money of $ 10 million, of which $30,00,000 will go to the winners, would ensure that players give their best performance.advertisementThis is the third occasion that the World Cup is coming to the Indian subcontinent, the earlier occasions being 1987 when it was hosted for the first time outside England – and 1996. This year, south Asia could have made a record with four countries jointly hosting the World Cup, but security concerns meant that Pakistan was chucked out, leaving only India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to stage the tournament at 13 venues.India has eight venues, Sri Lanka three and Bangladesh two. The semi-finals will be played in Colombo and Mohali while the final at a stadium about 16 kilometres from Sachin Tendulkar’s home in Mumbai.Unlike for the 1987 World Cup, when India and Pakistan cricket boards joined hands to successfully win the bid to host the tournament, it was much easy to beat the only contenders, Australia-New Zealand, for the 2011 edition. The south Asian nations won 10- 3 on April 30, 2006, after the ICC relaxed the rules to allow them to submit their main bid after its expiry date. It was not surprising, since an estimated 70- 80 per cent of ICC’s revenue comes from Indian companies or the MNCs based in the country.
zoom The National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (Bahri) has taken delivery of Maharah, a 300,000 dwt very large crude carrier (VLCC), from South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI). The newbuilding was handed over to Bahri during a delivery ceremony held at HHI Mokpo shipyard in South Jeolla Province, South Korea, on June 12.With a gross tonnage of 154,252 tons, Maharah features a length of 330 meters and a width of 60 meters.Currently, the Saudi Arabia-flagged vessel has a market value of 79.2 million, VesselsValue’s data shows.As disclosed, Bahri Oil, one of Bahri’s six business units, will be responsible for the commercial operation of Maharah.This is the second VLCC delivery for the company so far this year. In February, the 300,000 dwt Amjad joined Bahri’s multipurpose fleet of 84 vessels.“The addition of Maharah further strengthens our position as the world’s largest owner and operator of VLCCs… We celebrate this important milestone only months after accepting delivery of our 37th VLCC Amjad… In current times, fleet growth is critical to offsetting low spot market rates, and the timing of this delivery could not have been better,” Ahmed Ali Al-Subaey, Bahri’s Board Member, commented on the occasion.“The partnership between Bahri and Hyundai Heavy Industries spanning over a decade has been highly successful, with 26 vessels ordered and delivered to date and 8 more VLCCs currently on order, among which 3 will be delivered this year,” Ali Al-Harbi, Bahri’s Acting CEO, said.In April, Bahri revealed plans to re-flag 32 of its VLCCs and five of its mid-size carriers under the domestic flag by the end of 2017. As earlier explained, the registration of the company’s 37 VLCCs under Saudi Arabian flag is aimed at enhancing the Kingdom’s position in the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) global rank lists and at increasing the size and efficiency of the Saudi Arabia’s fleet.Last month, Bahri and HHI inked a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to cooperate in the field of big data. Under the MOU, the two companies will jointly develop smart ship solutions and apply them to ships operated by Bahri.
zoomImage by WMN Russian shipping major Sovcomflot is to place orders for three new-generation MR product carriers using LNG as their main fuel.Namely, the company’s Board of Directors approved transactions with Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex and a subsidiary of JSC VEB Leasing to order the units.The first of the vessels are scheduled for delivery in 2022. The units would be employed under twenty-year time-charter agreements with a subsidiary of PJSC Novatek.“The introduction of “green” technologies for energy shipping is one of the priorities provided for by the development strategy of our company for the period up to 2025,” Sergey Frank, President and CEO of Sovcomflot, said.The company already operates a series of the world’s first Aframax-class tankers to use LNG as fuel. Five more of SCF’s “green” series vessels will be built at Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex and put into operation from 2022 to 2023.
OTTAWA – Gord Downie and indigenous activist Sylvia Maracle will be appointed to the Order of Canada on Monday, while Downie’s Tragically Hip bandmates will also receive one of the country’s highest civilian honours at a later date.Maracle will be named an officer of the Order of Canada and Downie will be named a member.They are among 30 recipients to be honoured for leadership in supporting indigenous issues, including NHL player Jordin Tootoo, who will receive a meritorious service medal in the civil division.Maracle, a Mohawk from the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory and executive director of the Ontario Federation of Indigenous Friendship Centres, is known as a passionate advocate for urban indigenous peoples and women’s issues.Downie, who announced last year that he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, has become a strong advocate for indigenous people and issues.His recent solo album and graphic novel “Secret Path” tells the story of an indigenous boy, Chanie Wenjack, who died while trying to escape a residential school.The Hip’s members — Downie, Rob Baker, Johnny Fay, Paul Langlois and Gord Sinclair — are being honoured for their contributions to Canadian music and support for social and environmental causes.An officer of the Order of Canada is recognized for national service or achievement, while a member of the Order of Canada is honoured for contributions at the local or regional level or in a special field of activity.Other recipients to be feted on Monday include Metis author Jacqueline Guest, whose children’s and young adult books showcase indigenous culture. She was announced as a member of the Order of Canada in January.Cree activist, producer and actress Tina Keeper and Royal Winnipeg Ballet artistic director Andre Lewis will also each receive a meritorious service medal for producing the acclaimed ballet “Going Home Star — Truth and Reconciliation.”The story depicts the painful history of residential schools and was envisioned by late Cree elder and activist Mary Richard, who will receive a posthumous meritorious service medal.
International Rescue Committee (IRC) today announced it will present the IRC at New York Fashion Week Pop-Up at The Empire Hotel (44 West 63rd Street) on February 13 and 14, 2015.IRC Spokesperson and critically-acclaimed Chef Marco Canora (Brodo and Hearth Restaurant) will serve his celebrated Bone Broth, the latest health craze to sweep the nation. The Pop-Up will also feature a photo exhibition with Sudanese Model and IRC Voice Nykhor Paul of images from her recent trip to Ethiopia.The Pop-Up will be open from 11am to 5pm and is open by invitation only.Chef Canora supports the New Roots program, an essential part of the IRC’s broader efforts to help refugees resettled in the United States. The New Roots program enables refugees to establish community gardens to grow food for themselves and their neighbors, as well as offers nutrition and agribusiness training. Chef Canora has earned critical acclaim for his Italian-inflected cooking. In 2003, he opened Hearth in the East Village, which has since received a prestigious “Outstanding Restaurant” nomination from the James Beard Foundation. He is also the founder of Brodo, a popular to-go window operating out of Hearth serving cups of hot, nourishing bone broths.Nykhor Paul joined the IRC Voices last year after a trip in August 2014 to the Gambella region of Ethiopia where thousands of South Sudanese refugees live. In one of the camps she visited, she reunited with her parents for the first time in 16 years. The IRC provides refugee camps in the Gambella region with water, sanitation and health care and other support services.The IRC @NYFW pop-up is made possible with the generous support of the GE Foundation, Threads 4 Thought and Whole Foods Market.An ongoing and dedicated supporter of the IRC’s work, the GE Foundation is spotlighting Ebola relief efforts. From 5-7pm following the regular pop-up hours on Friday, February 13th, GE Foundation’s partner, Jhpiego, a global health non-profit and affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, will showcase an advanced protective suit for healthcare workers who treat Ebola patients. Influenced by fashion design, the innovative suit is being developed by Jhpiego and the Johns Hopkins’ Center for Bio-Engineering Innovation & Design (CBID). Jill Andrews of Jill Andrews Gowns, advised on the suit design and will also participate in the event.Sustainable fashion apparel company, Threads 4 Thought, will donate $5 for every Instagram and Twitter post with #IRCatNYFW during the pop-up, to help raise awareness and support for the IRC’s global work.Whole Foods Market NYC is supporting the Pop-Up with the highest-quality ingredients for Chef Canora’s Bone Broth. Whole Foods Market is proud to partner with the IRC through the Whole Planet Foundation to help alleviate poverty around the globe.