Chief executive officer of the Culture, Health, Arts, Sports and Education (CHASE) Fund, William ‘Billy’ Heaven, said calls to increase the fund’s 40 per cent allotment to the sports industry deserves consideration, but thinks an increase is unlikely at this point.Of the approximately $1.5 billion received and distributed by the CHASE Fund last year, almost $600 million was handed over to the Sports Development Foundation.The CHASE Fund is responsible for the distribution and management of monetary contributions from lottery companies to the various sectors, with sports development already securing the lion’s share with 40 per cent; early childhood education – 25 per cent; health – 20 per cent; and arts and culture – 15 per cent.However, there have been constant calls by members of the sporting fraternity for an increase in the percentage reserved for sport.”From where I sit, it will require a lot of thought and the dynamics would have to be considered in a very serious way,” Heaven told The Gleaner in a recent interview. “All the calls are reasonable. The point is, the pie is only 100 per cent and in my view, it would be difficult to, at this point, change the percentage relationship because some sectors will suffer as a consequence.””We have to create a delicate balance in the areas that we provide funding for,” added Heaven.”The 25 per cent for early-childhood education is significant to us and there are people who are calling for more money in early-childhood education. There are people who are calling for more money than the 20 per cent for health and there are significant more persons calling for more money for arts and culture,” Heaven said. “The 86.5 per cent literacy rate this year at the grade-4 level did not just happen overnight.”Fennell’s callThe latest calls for a greater increase in the percentage allotment for sports development were made at a recent function by president of the Jamaica Olympic Association Mike Fennell, who underscored the importance of sport to the country and demanded greater funding through the fund.”Sports has had to depend on 40 per cent of the money from the CHASE Fund and I can argue that the dividends from sports on that investment have been more than paid back and, therefore, there must be an argument for a review of that 40 per cent if we want to get more,” Fennell said. “That must be looked at because sport cannot be debated any longer in terms of its success and what it does for this country and we need to put more resources in it.”Heaven, however, highlighted that greater funding can only be granted if the fund increases its revenue stream.”What we can do is to make sure that the pie gets bigger in whatever way we can do that. Whenever another income stream in the gaming industry springs up we need to make sure that the CHASE Fund is a part of that, so that the pie gets bigger and each of the sectors get more money,” Heaven said.The CHASE Fund was incorporated in November 2002.
LATEST STORIES Pons repeatedly stated that the Lady Tamaraws are aiming for one of the top two spots in the standings, and they have a chance to achieve that goal at the end of the eliminations.FEU will take on National University on Sunday in a match day would cause shockwaves in the Final Four, and Pons is aware of that situation.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“The NU game will still be a really important one for us because this is the opportunity where we can get the no. 2 spot in the standings,” said Pons in Filipino Wednesday at Filoil Flying V Centre.“We still have to work to get that victory because that game is a must-win for us.” Balkman’s 46-point outburst lifts Alab past HK Eastern in semis game 1 Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames For the most part of the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament, Far Eastern University’s Bernadeth Pons have been adamant that the team won’t settle for just a mere Final Four spot.ADVERTISEMENT Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident The highest possible seed the Lady Tamaraws can get is the second spot, after La Salle’s victory over Adamson allowed the defending champions to lock up the no. 1 spot with an 11-2 record.FEU got closer to its twice-to-beat dream after making quick work of University of the East, 25-17, 25-15, 25-20, to get to a 9-4 record and tie Ateneo at the second spot of the standings.The Lady Tamaraws can get sole ownership of the second seed at the end of the tournament if they can score a win against the Lady Bulldogs and if the Lady Eagles fall against the Lady Spikers.Pons said that Lady Tamaraws will take the opportunity they were presented with and that is to beat down the struggling Lady Bulldogs who have lost five of their last six games.“Although NU’s performance went down in the second round, and they only got one win, nobody on that team wants to lose,” said the graduating Pons who finished with 13 points against the Lady Warriors. “This is my last year, my last chance for a title, so I’ll go out there and show no mercy.”ADVERTISEMENT P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments
The Liberia National Police (LNP) said it has with immediate effect, suspended indefinitely three police officers assigned at its Zone 4 substation in Gardnerville.The three officers, according to an LNP release yesterday, were suspended for “harassing and intimidating motorcyclists.”Letters of suspension issued to the affected officers also accused them of being involved in “unprofessional acts and other forms of police impropriety.” The suspended officers have meanwhile been turned over to the Professional Standards Division for further investigation.An LNP statement issued under the signature of its spokesman, Sam Collins, named the officers as Sackor J. Freeman ID# LNP-1128, General Commander of the Zone, Patrolman Alex Z. Theo ID# LNP-0639, Chief of Operations of Zone 4, and the Chief of Traffic of the Zone, Patrolman Musa A. Kanneh ID# LNP-0875. The LNP said the officers have been in the “constant habit of harassing motor cyclists in the Gardnersville area, an act which LNP says contravenes Chapter III Section 1.21 of the new Police Duty Manual captioned: ‘’Prohibited Conduct.’’The suspended officers have been ordered to turn over all government properties including badges, uniforms, police identification cards, and all police accessories in their possession to the Human Resource Department of the LNP.The release further stated that the suspended officers have been warned to desist from identifying themselves with the organization while undergoing suspension to avoid further embarrassment.Meanwhile, LNP authorities have called on the public not to interact with those suspected officers regarding any police function until their suspension is lifted.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Rehabilitation works were done on the Linden to Lethem road. This is expected to bring relief to minibus operators and passengers who traverse the trail. The remedial works commenced on June 23 and completed on June 28, 2019.Works being done on the Linden to Lethem trailThe works were done on certain patches and major holes were filled. This was confirmed by the Mayor of the mining town, David Adams, on Thursday.In an invited comment to the Guyana Times, he said the works were done by the Regional Administration of Region Eight and vehicles are now able to reach into Mahdia.He added, however, that due to the persistent heavy showers and the heavy-duty trucks traversing the area, he is unsure of how long the works would suffice.He noted that the works have brought significant relief to the road users that have been suffering in the recent months.Minibus operators plying the 72 route into Mahdia have expressed satisfaction with the remedial works which will benefit them as well as other road users. They expressed hope that the work continues and regular maintenance is done on the road.Rehabilitation works recently done on the Linden to Lethem trail after being in a deteriorated state for several monthsRoad users, particularly minibus operators, plying the trail have been complaining of the deteriorated condition of the trail which had become almost impassible.Mayor Adams had said that no major works could be done on the trail during the rainy weather. During this season, extra attention needed to be paid to the trail between Mahdia and Mabura, which was in dire need of repair works.The minibus operators have complained bitterly of the deteriorating condition of the trail which they are forced to use to transport passengers and goods as a means of earning their daily bread.They described the trail as a “death trap” and bashed the Public Infrastructure Ministry for paying zero interest in conducting long-term repairs to that trail which is the only access to those areas. Those minibus operators were forced to park their buses for a period of time.Further, when they resumed work, they were unable to get into the mining town with their buses and as such were forced to take passengers up to a point on the trail and then transfer those passengers and goods and other items to All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and pickup trucks that were able to get through the mud and into the mining town. This arrangement persisted for several weeks.This had resulted in hardships on those passengers and business owners who had to offset the double cost to reach into the mining town. Residents were also facing hardships as businesses were forced to inflate prices to offset the transportation cost and as such, they had to pay higher prices for goods.The trail has been in a deteriorated state for years and worsens during the rainy seasons after which minor substandard repairs are done on certain patches and the problem continues to recur.
1 Luis Suarez insists he left Liverpool a ‘happy man’.The Uruguay international joined Barcelona in the summer in a £75m deal after scoring 31 goals in 33 Premier League appearances last season.Suarez’s goals helped fire Liverpool to a second placed finish in the Premier League, their highest since 2008/2009.And the 27-year-old believes his goalscoring exploits enabled him to leave Anfield knowing he had contributed all he could.“I appreciate all the work the team did. But I missed six matches and scored all those goals in the Premier League without being the penalty taker,” Suarez told Barca TV.“I really could leave happy because if I hadn’t had the attitude and mentality to lead the team, I don’t think Liverpool would have done as well as they did.“Getting back into the Champions League was another target I had in mind.” Luis Suarez
Paulo Dybala has been linked with a move to Arsenal 1 Arsenal may have proven that they are still capable of mixing it with Europe’s top teams by beating Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League this week, but their latest result is very much papering over some pretty major cracks.The Gunners welcomed a raft of new faces to the club during the summer, but problems of quality squad depth persist, with defence and striking two areas that have suffered.With the January transfer window though could come salvation for the club, with Arsenal strongly linked with a move for a striker.The latest name to be uttered as a potential arrival is Palermo hotshot Paulo Dybala. Dubbed the ‘next Sergio Aguero’, this Argentine 21-year-old has certainly built a reputation for himself over the past three seasons.If his goals below are anything to go by, then he could be the ideal signing for the Gunners.Palermo v SampdoriaGenoa v PalermoAC Milan v PalermoInstituto de Cordoba v ChacaritaArsenal fans, should you move for Paulo Dybala in January? Comment below…
Both senior and reserve teams had outings against Drumquin from Co.Tyrone on Sunday with both games ending in a draw. These games will hopefully stand to the lads when they take on Maccumhaills this Sunday afternoon at 1.30pm and 3pm respectively in Maccumhaill Pairc, Ballybofey in the first game of the Division 2 league. All support is welcomed.Last day for club membership is this Friday to ensure your vote at AGM and also to entitle you to play for the coming year.The Donegal GAA banquet will be held in Abbey Hotel this Friday night at 8pm. Tickets are 30 euro each. Please advise Mickey Quinn by 6pm Thursday evening if interested in attending. David Walsh and the rest of the County Panel will be presented with their Ulster medals at this event.Anyone who wishes to have any information included in the club notes should contact Shane Walsh on email@example.com by 6pm on Monday evening.GAA: NAOMH BRID GAA CLUB NOTES was last modified: March 27th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: NAOMH BRID GAA CLUB NOTES
These three men won’t be found wanting at Croke Park today!It’s a small word but one which Jim McGuinness uses over and over again.BELIEVE!That’s what every man, woman and child in our county must do today as Donegal face Dublin in the All-Ireland semi-final at Croke Park. If the bookies were to be believed, Michael Murphy and co would be better off staying on the team bus rather than even togging out.But, as they say in the advert, “up here it’s different.”For we know the work, the sacrifices, the commitment and the dedication this team have put in.We know what it’s like to be underdogs. We know what it’s like to live in isolation and to be the ‘forgotten county.’Today we have the chance to show the rest of the country once again that Donegal can win against all the odds.They laughed at us when we dared to dream back in 1992 and again in 2012.And when the ball is thrown in at 3.30pm, we can do it all again.More than 30,000 Donegal fans are set to descend on Croker today and we need our voices to be heard. We need to let Jim and the boys hear our belief and to let them know that we are 100% behind them.Forget Coppers. Forget The Hill. Forget Bernard Brogan. Forget they’re champions.One word can get us across the line and into the final – believe.See you all in The Diamond! IT’S D-DAY! NOW WE MUST ALL BELIEVE! was last modified: August 31st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:All-Ireland semi-finalCroke ParkdonegaldublinJim McGuinness
Glenswilly U16’s face Naomh Columba in the Division 2 County league final this Saturday in Glenties at 12.30pm.On their way to the final, they’ve taken notable scalps in the form of had Naomh Colmcille, Red Hughes, Carndonagh, Malin and Killybegs to set-up the mouth-watering tie against Naomh Columba.Glenswilly have pleaded with their club patrons to make their way to Glenties on Saturday to give the boys the support they deserve. GAA NEWS: GLENSWILLY FACE NAOMH COLUMBA IN U16 COUNTY FINAL ON SATURDAY was last modified: October 17th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAAglenswillyNoticesSport
TWO CHINESE nationals – one of them in his 70s – are being quizzed by detectives after a €240,000 drugs bust in Co Donegal.The drugs were seized at a farm house in the townland of Grabanagh, Ballintra.The suspects are being held at Ballyshannon Garda Station. One of them has been in Co Donegal for more than 40 years.A Garda spokesman said: “Gardai in Co. Donegal arrested two men in relation to the the discovery of cannabis plants in Co. Donegal last night 24th January 2013 at approximately 10.30pm.“As part of a planned operation involving Gardai from Ballyshannon assisted by member of the Regional Support Unit, a house in Ballintra was searched and approximately 300 cannabis plants, with an estimated potential street value of approximately €240,000 (pending analysis) were seized.“The two men are currently detained at Ballyshannon Garda Station under Section 2 of Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act 1993.” CONFIRMED: TWO CHINESE MEN HELD IN €240,000 DRUGS BUST was last modified: January 25th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:000 DRUGS BUSTCONFIRMED: TWO CHINESE MEN HELD IN €240